Monday, April 25, 2011

Favorite snacks

Hey again, it's Emily!

As (some/most/all?) of you know, I’m a graduate student. Due to my schedule, I actually have to eat lunch during my class on Mondays and Wednesdays, and I'm generally just busy. My homework load varies wildly, and there are days where I can’t plan how late I’ll be staying up finishing work or how much time I'll have to prepare food. I have outside extracurricular responsibilities that I’m passionate about, but take my time away from other work I need to do. So what's a girl to do?


Not only is it necessary that I maintain my food budget (it's no good for my wallet to hit vending machines for the mid-afternoon munchies!), but it’s also necessary that I have food on hand that I can cook easily, snacks that are healthy that I can eat at home and grab on the go.

Here are some of my favorite healthy snacks:


Grab and Go:
  • Carrot sticks
  • Sweet pepper strips
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Raw almonds
  • Cheese
  • Granola bars (although these can contain a ton of calories and sugar, so I try not to eat these all the time!)
Eat at Home:
  • Plain yogurt with honey
  • Smoothies (made with various ingredients, but usually milk, frozen strawberries, and plain yogurt, sometimes with the addition of fresh spinach or honey)

What are some other healthy and budget-friendly snacks that you enjoy?

1 comment:

  1. If you are in the mood for something sweet, a really low-cal yummy treat are VitaTops. They have a website, but there are tons of flavors (including chocolate peanut butter) and they are DELICIOUS!

    Also, turkey jerky is yummy and good protein. I also like turkey pepperoni with string cheese.

    Good luck to you on your running adventure!

    ReplyDelete