Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's time to Run Like A Girl.

Hi, I'm Julie and I'm allergic to latex. (yes, you can giggle)

Why does this matter? Why is this the first post in a blog about running?

Because latex is everywhere and in everything. It is in shoes, bras, clothing, gym equipment, and is related to many fruits and veggies. What does this mean for a girl like me? It means that in the five years since the onset of my allergy, I've gotten fat.

For someone like me who has struggled with he weight since I was 10 years old, a latex allergy was a license to eat junk and sit on the couch. Exercise has never been my thing, but cupcakes for SURE have-- mix this with being allergic to latex? BAD NEWS.

But now, I'm determined to get fit again.

At the time I developed my allergy, I was the thinnest I'd ever been and in the best shape of my life. I'm determined to get that back! Even if I'm never as thin as I was then, I want to know I can physically do anything demanded of me. Most simply? I want to go up the stairs to my apartment without feeling like my lungs are going to explode.

So here's what I've done: I re-worked my budget and scrounged up come cash to join a gym. I even had a special epi-pen pouch made so I can holster it onto my water bottle due to the ubiquity of latex in a gym setting. I was pretty content to settle for a few days a week on the elliptical machine...but......

My cousin proposed to me an idea that got me thinking......

She wants to run the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon. It's a half marathon through the Disney Parks in Florida where you dress up like a princess.

At first I laughed.

Then.....

I thought a little bit.......

And though: WHY NOT???

And then I saw the price tag on the event...anyone ever looked at the cost of a trip to Disney that requires 2-4 nights in (they suggest) a Disney hotel during an event weekend? The registration fee alone is over $100 (last published fee was $120, but I haven't found the updated 2012 cost). Anyone looked at the cost of latex free sports gear? YEAH....it's sad and scary and makes my bank account cry itself to sleep.

So- this is my plan. I'm going to train like I'm going to run the race. I started the couch to 5K program (which I'll blog about soon!) as soon as we hatched this idea, and I have 10 months to get from zero to 13.1 miles. Can I do it? WHO KNOWS. But I sure am going to try.

I'm also going to look for sponsors who want to help make this happen. Looking for a fat to fit poster girl to advertise for you? I'm your girl. Do you make latex-free products and want a really loud mouthpiece to shout about them? I'm your girl.

I own an etsy shop with an accompanying blog and a twitter account with 400+ followers, and I'm happy to take part in any of your advertising.

So-- all you companies out there-- GIVE US YOUR MONEY. :-)

On this blog, Emily (my cousin), possibly another friend who may be training with us, and I will discuss:
- Who we are, why we want to do this, etc.
- Our training (none of us are runners, this is new to us!)
- Our eating - we will focus on healthy eating while cooking for one. We are both single ladies and all you single people out there know how hard it can be to cook healthy things for yourself, especially while staying on a budget!
- Budget friendly fitness and eating (I work admin, Emily is a grad student-- budget friendly is a very big deal. Especially considering my student loans *shudder*)
- Anything else that might happen along the way.

There are several ways you can help us reach our goal of running the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon, 2012:

- You can sponsor us financially. If you are interested, please contact me at julievisiondesigns (at) gmail (dot) com.

- You can give us some gear, which we will use and review here on this blog.

-  You can advertise with us! See that sad, empty space in the side bar and footer?? IT COULD BE YOURS! Contact me at julievisiondesigns (at) gmail (dot) com for prices and info!

- You can make this blog look better. Clearly, blog design is not our game. If you can make this blog look more appealing to potential sponsors, that would be amazing!

- Got a better idea? I'm all ears. Comment or email me! I started the blog because I can't run without sponsors. I brought the other girls in to write because it's more fun that way! If you have ideas or suggestions for one or all of us to obtain advertisers or sponsorship, give us a shout!

Most of all, we hope you'll offer us moral support as we get off the couch and try to run. We don't know a lot about this, but we do know that it's about time for us to get fit. It's time we felt strong. It's time for us to RUN LIKE GIRLS.

4 comments:

  1. I actually dig your little running snow white, well except that her one foot is backwards :-)

    Good luck! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great great great idea!! I have some friends who've done it, it seems totally fun! And if you're going to run a half marathon, what better place??? I was running before I got pregnant so if you need any tips, just let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This is a fantastic idea, Julie!!! (and Emily :D) I am SO super proud of you and know that with the amount of determination I see here, you will have no trouble achieving your goals!! Tweet me whenever you post here, ok? I wanna follow right along with you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to there...but I don't think I'd run. I think I'd just run off to Epcot :) Good luck the Julie!

    ReplyDelete