Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Something is better than nothing!

Hey, it's Emily!

I posted earlier in the month about finding time to work out, but what happens when you just can't fit in your workout? Whether it's a doctor's appointment scheduled during your workout time or the last day before a deadline, sometimes your workout just can't happen as planned!

First of all, when you realize that the workout isn't going to happen, don't beat yourself up about it!

Try to modify your activities throughout the rest of the day to get more calories burned than usual, doing such things as:
  • Standing up and pacing while you are on the phone. Not only can the movement keep you from getting distracted by things on the computer (guilty as charged!!), but you can burn some calories while walking around.
  • Taking some time to stretch, do sit-ups, or while waiting for anything, whether it's copies or waiting for a pot of water to boil.
  • Using the stairs instead of the elevator (or basically walking anywhere you might normally take a more "convenient" route)
One "off" day is not going to kill you, just don't let it become a habit! You can always get back on track after a setback.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I always do calf raises while I'm waiting for my lunch to heat up in the microwave.

    When I park far away and add extra steps into my day by taking longer routes around campus, I feel a lot less guilty if I don't get in an evening walk or elliptical session.

    ReplyDelete