Wednesday, June 22, 2011

150 min per week? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR.

This week Chrissy, who has been an oh-so-fantastic cheerleader to me and Emily both, raised an interesting question. How do you fit in enough workout time and what do you do to work out when you are not running??

The CDC recommends that all adults take part in at least:
  • 2 hrs. 30 min. (that's 150 min) of moderate intensity aerobic activity per week (brisk walking); OR 1 hr. 15 min (75 min) of vigorous aerobic activity (jogging or running)
  • PLUS muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days per week that work all major muscle groups.
For additional health benefits, they recommend increasing activity to....
  • 5 hours (300 min) per week of moderate intensity aerobic activity OR 2 hrs. 30 min (150 min) of vigorous aerobic activity.
So, if you are me, you are thinking, 150min per week?? How am I going to find time for that??!!! I wrote a little bit about this issue here.  But, let's think about this for a second....

First, the CDC notes that 10 min. of aerobic exercise at a time is perfectly fine, and, in fact, good for you, as long as you are engaged in the activity for at least 10 min. So, of you walk to a train stop, bus stop, or to work/school every day, that very well may count towards your total!
 
Second, if you are running (like Emily and I are trying to do) 30 min, 3 times per week, you are getting 90 min per week of vigorous aerobic activity, which is over the minimum 75 min recommended. If you are me, and you are trying to run 4-5 times per week, but are still walking about 1/3 of your 30 min, it seems to me that you are still on target.

BUT....what if you don't want to run? Or, what if you want to get in more of a work out without having to run all the time?

When I met with the trainers at my gym, they recommended I attend fitness classes at the gym. I'm not a fan of group fitness (even though I know the classes are good for you, yada yada yada...), so I tend to use the elliptical machine or the cross training machines when I'm not running. Actually, I like to use both machines to do my warm up/cool down on days I run, as well.

Don't have a gym membership? I'd say exercise DVDs are a great thing you can do at home. If I had enough space, I'd totally do some. 

So, let's throw this question out to all of you and collect some ideas -- What is your favorite non-running / non-walking workout??

2 comments:

  1. oh julie. you know the answer. one word:

    RICHARD!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I guess it's not so overwhelming when you count the normal amount of walking I do in my day. Parking far away, taking stairs, etc. seems like it could add up pretty quickly to 150 minutes! It's just so much more than my doctor always told me. My doctor always said 20-30 minutes, 3 times a week is perfect! She always just emphasized consistency.

    What kind of workout DVD's do people recommend? Can you get them through Netflix?

    And THANK YOU for answering my questions :-). I love cheering you guys on!

    ReplyDelete